Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Running Away

Sadly I'm not in Italy anymore.  Anyone shocked?  It's taken me about a week to come to grips and be able to write what happened and why I left.  So a while back in my blog I posted that something happened, but I was very vague about details as to what had happened.  Here's what happened.  The husband came on to me.  At first I was super confused because I was taking care of the kids playing games on the couch when it happened, but it was so out of the blue that I didn't know if it was maybe just an Italian thing.  Anyway confusion aside it was inappropriate and I sought council from the missionaries.  Well that weekend and the next week it became worse.  I again asked the missionaries for advice, and the Branch President I even had a blessing so that I could receive an answer.  Still nothing, and now it was almost unbearable.  As soon as he would sit down by me, it was inevitable that he would start to try to touch me.  Whether the kids were there or the wife in the next room it didn't matter nothing would protect me except me hiding out in my room.  Thus the beginning of me becoming a recluse in my room.  Side note:  It was really cold outside so waiting at bus stops when it's freezing isn't as enjoyable as it sounds.  I went outside when I needed to, or to go into town for a little bit.  Also I need to mention that the husband for the most part was home watching tv.  They were incredibly wealthy, but he only went out to do work for a couple hours but at noon he was back so that meant to avoid him at all cost I would stay in my room with my door shut and locked usually.  So while that was becoming a horrible situation the wife was becoming a little more psychotic.  She had major O.C.D.'s about food.  At first it was okay then it became I wasn't allowed to eat certain foods.  Like this one time she came up to me and said, "I noticed that you've been using a lot of butter, can you not use any more."  or salad or biscuits, or bread, or yogurt oh wait I couldn't eat any eggs my only source of protein.  The list of food I was using too much of went on, because I was starving.  So I would hide food in my room that didn't need refrigeration so I could snack on something.  Besides starving there were other things that made it hard to live.  The wife and husband fought all the time.  The father didn't speak any English so of course it was in Italian, and I had no idea what was happening.  (Now I know why the last Au Pair for them got a boyfriend as soon as possible and spent as much time as possible out of the house).  After the fighting the wife would take out her frustrations on me. It was then that I started noticing things were getting progressively worse.  I was only suppose to iron and stuff once a week, but the wife starting having me do more and more house work.  So by the end I was doing majority house work and less time with the kids.  I'm not complaining it kept me busy and away from the husband.  It was just annoying.  Also the mom was becoming more crazy.  I would make the beds in the morning, and they had to be made like hospital beds with the ends mitted.  The little girl who is only three years old would sit on her bed for a sec after I finished making them leaving a wrinkle in the sheets.   If the wife saw the wrinkle she would point it out and tell me that I needed to make the beds better then rip off the sheets to have me remake the beds.  My mom came and visited me around this craziness.  I didn't tell her how stressed and how much anxiety I had because I wanted to decide for myself whether I should come home or not.  After she left the husband became worse.  More touchy then ever before.  He even tried to kiss me. Which I would say is past the inappropriate stage and on to the nasty stage.  The last day I was there the wife was matching slices of bread to make sure they were even before making the kids sandwiches and counting the meat. Having me clean out all the drawers of the children's room where they store their toys.   All in all I can say with clarity that any spirit or joy I had when I was there was never in the house with the parents.  I loved the children dearly and would take them outside as much as possible.  But as soon as I was in that house every bit of happiness was gone. 
So here comes the spontaneous flee.
I waited. Finally on Saturday morning they told me that they were going to go to the mountain to ski for the day.  Here's my chance.  I helped them in the morning get ready to leave.  Then as soon as they were gone I threw as much as I could fit into my suitcases and left. I left on the dresser a brief letter saying that "I'm sorry I had to leave, the reasons were my own.  I loved your family."  I had the missionaries come and help me get my luggage to my friend Leticia's house.  Leticia and I hung out for a couple House while she finished what she needed to do, then we boarded a train to Verona.  Let me just say if you travel to Italy again do not pack heavy pack small suitcases with light things.  That was so hard.  We ran into the missionaries again at the train station and had them help us carry the suitcases up the stairs.  But then we were on our own.  Thank goodness for the Asian that helped me get the huge suit case off the train in Verona.  We found an elevator in the Verona station which was a life savior and went and got us a taxi.  It was super cool.  First time of taking a taxi.  We found our hotel and checked in.  By this time we were starving.  So we went out and enjoyed Verona at night.  It's beautiful at night by the way.  We found a small cafe where there were lots of people mingling and had a wonderful dinner watching people on a warm night.  Back at the hotel we both crashed asleep. I woke at four in the morning caught another taxi to the airport leaving Leticia at the hotel.  She would leave at seven to go home.  Then began the journey of fighting airport staff to get my luggage home and my late noticed flights.  Three airplanes later with twenty-eight hours or more awake I finally arrived home.  Oh and the wife tried to skype my mom.  So I wrote her an email explaining about the husband and stuff which she denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment