Monday, February 13, 2012

Facing Fears One Gear At A Time

Yes, I had another battle with driving stick.  The red car is needed else where, and I am suppose to drive manual. First let me tell you how Sunday went.  Instead of going to church I was going to go with the family skiing or sledding.  It was too cold, and snowing heavily in the mountain so it was decided that instead we were going to go to lunch with friends.  The friends were another couple and their two children really close in age with Gabriele and Bea.  We drove up into the mountain, and around this gorgeous lake covered in fog.  It was beautiful.  The water was a cold dark grey, and the fog made it appear that the lake was floating and went out forever into nothingness.  As always when in the car with Carlo driving the kids chant for him to drive like a maniac thus scaring the crap out of me.  I play along like I don't understand why they keep saying my name.  I scream yes in fear, but also because the kids laugh themselves silly.  Finally we made it to the restaurant.  It was a beautiful restaurant out by the lake road, and away from anything else.  Bea had fallen asleep in the car, and once woken to go inside she remained quiet and shy. So I sat by here while the couples talked and laughed (with some wine and ale).  Bea was fascinated by a roll of tape that the other couple brought in a coloring supplies bag for their daughter.  She asked repetitively for me to cut the tape so she could tape her doll Lorenzo.  The most delicious food came.  I was adventurous enough to try this bright purple cabbage thing that tasted wonderful.  The kids played all through lunch.  Then came dessert!  Oh can I just say there is such a thing as a dessert that makes you want to cry and laugh because it's the most delicious thing ever.  Tirimisu at this restaurant was that dessert.  It had a small bowl of a chocolate cake/ice cream/ pudding that was so rich and creamy but firm deliciousness.  Then an enormous cup that was filled with cake hidden by creamy vanilla pudding with crated chocolate over it.  Oh my goodness it was so delicious.  I must have gained five pounds just by eating it, but I would do it again in a heart beat if offered.  Why is it that I always choose the wrong apparel?  I have no idea.  Maybe its because everything is said in another language and I have no idea half the time whats going on.  That's possibly the reason.  But whatever the conclusive answer to the question is, it was decided to take a stroll around one of the lakes close by.  I wore my new oxfords which I had been trying to break in, and was hoping I wouldn't get another blister for wearing them.  But I agreed and we went to the lake.  The lake was frozen solid, and in face was so solid we went walking on it.  I have never seen a lake so frozen you could walk on it.  It was pretty cool.  Unfortunately Ilaria slipped and hit her head and shoulder which I'm still kind of worried about.  We walked for a bit up by the playground while the kids played.  It was so bitter cold my feet I was afraid were going to have frost bite they were hurting so bad from the cold.  Finally we turned to go home.  With more screams from me and laughter from the kids.  The other couple came to the house and the kids played for a bit.  Once they left this is where I began to panic.  DRIVING LESSONS.  Let me tell you three strikes against me as a manual driver.  One:  I'm a women, which to my sexes distress we are fairly bad drivers.  We can't help it, we multitask, we have so much on our minds that we can't help that we are distracted.  Two: I'm blond.  I have never used that as an excuse before because hair color doesn't impede anything.  Much to my annoyance if you do suggest my hair color for a lack of judgement on my part.  Three:  I've had no experience with manual.  I mean I had a lesson or two from my parents.  But come on! In America we drive with rules, and wide roads.  Here in Italy its a free-for-all.  Narrow roads, lines and signs that no one obeys, and can I just say bazillion hills that are impertinently steep.  Side note: Dad if I ever complained about you when you were teaching me to drive, I take it all back.  It's harder to learn from someone that only speaks a couple words in English.  Carlo took me to a flat, long, empty road with no cars.  There I practiced starting over and over again, because that's my greatest weakness besides hills.  Over and over again with Carlo trying to explain the clutch and me sweating profusely because I can't breathe I'm so worried.  After I somewhat mastered that we went to a small hill that wasn't anything really at all and tried starting on that.  Over and over again with the engine sputtering, and me praying with all my heart to just get the blasted car moving.  I found a hidden strength.  I'm excellent at putting the car in reverse and driving.  Too bad I can't use that more often.  Finally we ended thank goodness, with the hope that today (Monday) we will try again.  Yay, lucky me. (I meant that with complete sarcasm).   
Now for the grand finale!  MY MOM IS COMING TO VISIT ME THIS WEEKEND! I am so excited!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment