Monday, January 23, 2012

Birthday wishes

 This top picture is when I was lost in San Rocco Piaza.  Those are all logs whole that have been perfectly layered until its become a mosaic.

 The next two pictures of the sticks, and the goose with the missionaries were taken today on my birthday.  That goose is entirely made out of sticks, and is the larges in the world.  A rare find here in Trento such prestige. These are the two elders that have fast become my friends.  On the right is Elder Gummel.  And obvious the other one is Elder Rockwood
 Sorry the police car is only for my own enjoyment.  I don't think you can tell here, but the car is tiny.  Every time I see a police car I laugh.

 These two need hardly an introduction.  Today was my birthday, so Bea celebrated with me by applying stickers to our faces and playing the bad guys.  Yes we were both armed with swords and bubble blowing guns.
Here I am yesterday lost before church at another bus stop.

ITALIAN BIRTHDAY

Part one:
This morning started off a bit rocky.  I needed to drive Gabriele to school in the morning at 7:30.  Which I don't mind because I feel like a pro race car driver on those tiny streets barely fitting two cars across and going like 50 on the roads. But of course today was Monday and Gabriele was not wanting to go to school and was crying and fighting so much so that Ilaria had to carry him down the stairs to the garage.  Thank goodness he stopped, but was silent no matter my silly attempts to talk.  We got out of the car and walked together in silence.  Usually we race each other once we get close enough to see the school.  I always let him win it's just what gets both of our hearts pumping and laughing.  Today I let him get a little ahead of me.  I started saying, and he's going to win, pretending that I was speeding up to him.  Until he started running and laughing into the school.  Walking back to the car I decided that I was going to stop at a bakery and get some pastries for my birthday breakfast.  So after a horrid attempt at speaking Italian I bought some pastries and left.  Delicious!  Italian pastries fresh, in the cold crisp January air  this morning was like a little slice of heaven.  Once I made it home I took a shower hoping Bea was finally heading to school today.  Alas the school was closed because more than half of her class and the teacher is sick.  I thought for a second that I was going to have to stay at home to watch her, but Ilaria said it was alright that I left.  Which leads me to....
Part two:
This is the better story.  I get into town and walk into Duomo Square. I wait and eat a couple more pastries left over from earlier this morning.  Still I wait, until I think they must have had a problem and could not come.  Finally the missionaries came into the square.  Okay so again with the missionaries.  I can't help it really, they are my only friends besides one or two members.  I love talking to them.  Anyways enough excuses, but they came to give me an Italian Survival Course 101.  First of all I was just so happy that they came so I could talk to them, but they also brought me a present.  Two Italian books, one of Italian Verbs, the other the bus schedules etc, also a couple chocolate chip cookies they made, and two peanut butter sandwiches.  Which I don't know if you know, they don't have peanut butter here.  Call Italians crazy but they don't like it for some odd reason.  So that peanut butter was from their Christmas packages they received from home.  I wanted to cry.  That was probably the nicest thing someone has ever done, they were giving up their valuable time and resources because they knew how much I wish I had peanut butter.  Then the course began.   It started with finding a map of Italy that I wanted.  Then they showed me areas where I should not go because I would be likely to get raped at a certain time.  Also they pointed out differences in Muslims, Italians, Europeans, and Africans.  Which wouldn't make a difference on what nationality except for my Alfred experience, most Muslims are not so nice and would be more likely to kidnap me into being a fifth wife.  We walked around for a while they taught me some Italian words.  We tried to find a good map in a lot of different places.  We were also looking for a paint store so I can get more paint supplies.  The whole time we laughed, we talked about movies we miss watching or were our favorites.  Things we miss, and just laughed.  I confessed that I'm happy they were on a mission, but wish they lived here instead so we could hang out and be friends.   Not to dwell on that though.  It was getting close to lunch time.  They showed me where I could get the most delicious Kabob (don't mind my spelling), its meat on a sqwere that has been rotisserie and then shaved off into a tortilla like thing with spicy stuff anyways it's absolutely delicious.  We ate and talked then they showed me a short cut to a bus stop that is really close to the library that I can use to get back home instead of walking all the way back.  They are going on splits tonight and tomorrow with elders from Bolzano.  Tomorrow they find out about transfers, and if Elder Rockwood is being transferred then on Wednesday which is they're Pday they are going to this famous monument that is a Pantheon up in the mountains overlooking the entire Trento Valley and wanted to know if I wanted to go.  So maybe on Wednesday I will go up with them, but who knows.  I came home did the laundry, played with Bea once Gabriele came home they served me Terimisu which was delicious and gave me this beautiful goose silver vest that is super warm.  I love it, and will wear it tomorrow into town.  Even though I had to iron today ( which I hate more than anything)  today was all in all a very good birthday.


3 comments:

  1. You make me homesick for Germany.... Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa: I love your blog. I would miss you if it weren't for this. These blogs allow me to "read your thoughts." I almost feel like I am there with you. You are having such an awsome time. Take care, have fun, and be careful my wonderful beautiful granddaughter. Gramma Bev. (I never know if I have to sign these things for you to know who is writing. Sorry I am sooooo old fashioned.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
    Lavika Adjustable Length Kayak Paddle with Carbon Fiber Handle 228 to 240 Centimeters

    ReplyDelete