Saturday, January 21, 2012

Missionaries

Today I met the missionaries.  They called the house phone which thankfully I actually answered this time.  Usually I let it ring to voicemail because I don't speak Italian. Let me back up for a second.  Today was a blissful day regardless of the afternoon events because Carlos left Friday night for skiing with friends, and Ilaria and the children left this morning as well to ski.  Thus the house was vacant.  It was beautiful today, 52 degrees out with lots of sunshine.  Now back to the missionaries, which I met at the front gate so they knew where I lived in case of an emergency.  They invited me to a baptism at 5:00 and showed me on my map where the church was.  I agreed to try to find it.  I went back inside the house and had a delicious lunch of zucchini quiche.  Then at 3:00 I left for the plaza (Duomo Square).  I found a beautiful blue cashmere scarf and hat because it's cold.  Then walked for a bit. I checked my watch amazed at how little time had passed.  It was only forty past three.  I pulled at my map and went to the nearest street corner.  Side note, Italians do not have street signs like we have street signs.  They have on the side of the buildings (only sometimes) a sign or something that says Via Roma, Via Corce etc.  Let me emphasis that they don't have it on all the street intersections, but randomly on side of buildings so you better pray that you can find the right streets.  I searched for a second till I found a signish name of the street.  I mapped it out.  About a mile to the church.  Of course I have no idea what bus to take if any to get there so I started walking.  Walking the streets of Italy.  There is beautiful buildings of historical worth, and cathedrals galore.  parks, and cobblestone pathways that lead into alleyways.  I came across the right street and called the missionaries.  I described where I was at.  Now the church has only about thirty-five to forty members on a good day.  So they didn't have their own building but a section in a business building.  The missionaries came outside where I saw them.  We went to a tabacci store.  Side note: Tabacci is like a little drug store but really they sell magazines, lottery tickets I'm assuming, cigarettes, bus tickets mainly, and of course candy whatnots.  This particular Tabacci had blank DVD's which the missionaries use to burn conference talks etc from their computer.  We then looked for a pastry shop which most where closed so we went back to the small church.  They showed me the baptismal font.  It was a blowup small swimming pool like thing that was leaking water all over the floor.  I helped a little with containing the water.  You know how I get when I get nervous?  Well being alone inside the church with the missionaries about to meet practically the whole ward I was exceptionally nervous.  I was talking up a blue streak!  Which I hope they don't take as flirting.  I can't help it! The most random things come out of my mouth, and to save myself I told them I was going on a crusade to find some pastries.  So Off I went in search of sugary goodness that would add to my hyperactive.  Unluckily for the missionaries I came across one, and bought a couple of the most delicious pastries.  I'm going to try to describe them.  They are flat and usually rectangular.  Very thin, baked I'm assuming, and covered in powder sugar.  I had about three!  I walked back to the unfortunate missionaries that are now stuck with me till the baptism starts and shared my treat.  I asked about their families, and what everything under the sun really.  We talked about traveling.  There is one missionary in particular Elder Gummell, I think that's how you spell his last name, has traveled to so many different countries.  I'm super envious of him!  Finally after forever members start trickling in.  The convert that was getting baptized brought a friend which I might add hopefully starts coming.   All the members greeted me, and the sisters touched my hair.  I laugh now, but during I was super confused why they kept touching my hair.  I guess blond hair is a low commodity unless its found in a bottle, and mine naturally blond and super long is an amazing thing for these Italians.  After the girl was baptized they had testimonies, which I had to leave halfway through because it was dark outside, and I don't know how late the buses run.  Walking in the dark in Italy is another thing entirely.  You think that it's dead after normal hours? Not so.  I was worried about walking to the bus stop because of how far away it was, and because I had to walk through an unsavory part in this back alleyway.  But I made it, and am no longer nervous about walking in the dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment