Sunday, January 22, 2012

Spiritual uplifting

The gospel doesn't change no matter where you are.  Here in Trento, Italy it's the same as it was in Utah with the only difference being the language.  I have found some peace today at church.  For the first time since being here I felt truly happy, not worldly happiness.  The branch being incredibly small, but the love of the members are so immense.  They embraced me, and made sure I felt at home.  A sweet sister from England that was married (older) translated for me during relief society.  The elders helped me through sacrament.  I was questioning my choice of coming here with this past week being so hard, and feeling homesick until today.  I felt such peace that Heavenly Father has me in mind.  Whether I'm suppose to learn patience, or to influence someone I have no idea.  What I do know is that I'm where I need to be at this moment.
A short story entailing a lost blond girl, almost tears, a couple phone calls, and a blessing in disguise:
 I left this morning in time to catch the 8:25 bus into Trento main plaza.  After waiting for ten minutes I started to get panicked because the bus hadn't come yet.  I almost felt like it was a sign that maybe I shouldn't be going.  Instead of turning around to head back I called the missionaries explaining the situation.  They told me that the bus ran at a different schedule on Sundays.  The bus only came every hour, and wouldn't be there until 8:43.  Frustrated I waited for the bus.  Finally it came.  I sat there as it went through it's usual stops, but at the last turnaround before you head into the town it turned in the opposite direction heading further away from the town.  I started to get panicked.  I started thinking of possible problems.  I waited a stop then another one, still getting further from the town and the church.  So I stood up and got off at the last stop the bus made.  I wanted to see if it was the right bus number because its only found on the outside of the bus.  As soon as I was off the bus closed the doors and drove off.  Great, I'm lost far away from the town, and in the middle of another small town on the outskirts of Trento.  Of course it happens to me, especially on Sunday with me already going to be late for church.  Also I'm wearing high heels which was stupid of me.  I couldn't possibly try to walk all the way back on cobble stones to find another bus stop, because the next bus doesn't come for another hour.  I felt like crying.  So frustrated because all I wanted to do was get to church.  I called the missionaries.  I know right now they are probably exasperated by me.  This dumb American girl that always gets lost.  Especially because yesterday I was a talking crazy, especially with elder Gummel who I love talking to.  I'm rolling my eyes at myself right now in my absolute stupidity.  So I call them and explain my situation.  They of course politely chuckle then tell me they are looking at a map of where I am.  Which as it turns out would be a very long walk to get to another bus stop that would be able to take me into town.  A kind brother in the ward offered to come pick me up.  I waited in the cold thanking Heavenly Father for the kindness of the Elders and the member of the ward.  Elder Gummel and the brother arrived thankfully.  I made it in time for Relief Society which the brothers wife is from England and translated for me.  She also helped me find a young girl about 18 that will keep me updated on Young Single Activities and help me if at all possible.  The sister translated for me through Gospel Doctrine.  ( Which only had about seven people in it, Gospel Principals had the rest of the branch).   Elder Gummel translated for me during sacrament which was more of a charade mix because he had forgotten most of the English words.  The talks were on being a good influence/example for others around.  Also a talk was on growing spiritual because Heavenly Father knows, and wants us to grow.  He gives us trials that He knows we can handle, but also for us to be humbled and come to him.  I think this morning I was humbled being lost is a scary thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment