Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A new car, and random lostness

First of all remember how manual cars and I do not get along?  Well Ilaria took sympathy on me, and brought their other car home that is automatic.  I'll have to put pictures on tomorrow.  But it's tiny and absolutely cute! It seats two people which is perfect and is about the third of a regular car.  I love driving it!! Secondly I tried today in town to go inside a shop and buy something.  I want to buy a hat and a pair of gloves because it's freezing here right now.  So today while in the square Duomo (main plaza area) I walked around all the streets looking at shops and just walking around.  Once I found the shop that had some cute hats I took a deep breath and walked in.  Immediately my face flushed red, she said bonjourno which I mimicked her in reply.  I then walked up to a hat display and reached out to touch a hat suddenly feeling so self-conscious.  I realized I had no idea if this was a boys store or a women's because of the ambiguity of it I felt flustered about picking up a hat wondering if it was a Male's hat or not then feeling even more embarrassed, because I didn't know how to ask in Italian 'how much?".   Needless to say I turned around face utterly red and walked out fast. I'm sure now that the lady thought I was trying to steal or something.  I felt like an idiot so I did what anyone would, I turned around and headed back to the library.  As I walked I looked at the shops casually, till finally close to the library I found a shoe shop that I wanted to go into for Oxford shoes.  I walked up to the door, there was something in Italian and the blinds were closed.  Okay I guess I'll come back in an hour or so.  I get to the library find a chair next to an older man and sit down and read.   A little side note here, when I get nervous I guess I tend to make everything difficult especially taking off a jacket.  I must of looked like a crazy trying to get my over the shoulder bag out from under my hood in my jacket, and trying to unzip my jacket gracefully.  Yes I'm quite sure I looked idiotic.  I read for an hour then get back up.  Again with the stupid dance trying to get my scarf back on and jacket without causing to many looks.  I'm red in the face as I finally make my way out.  Back up the street I'm walking determined to go to the shoe store.  This time I'll do it! I'll just walk in there and point to the shoe, say seven in Italian/Spanish and try it on.  It can't be that hard right? Well the store still had it's blinds down, and now I could barely make out boxes in front of the window inside.  I try the door just in case, locked, and walk back towards the library.  This is will be my first time catching a train back to the house.  I head towards the train station. I only know where two bus stops are.  One is way back there and I don't know if I could find again, and the other is near the train station behind the library a couple of blocks next to a park.  So there I walk to.  I make it there unscathed which is saying something because Italians drive crazy.  I go up to the number six bus which is the one Ilaria told me goes to Villizano which is where we live.  "Villizano?" I ask the driver.  "no"  he makes a motion out the window, so I step off the bus to look back at the number on the bus, but he closes the door and drives off.  So I stand and wait.   I wait and wait for thirty minutes.  Another number six comes,  this one must be it I think and I get on punch my pass and sit down. As soon as we start the driver makes a right turn and suddenly I realize we are heading in the opposite direction.  Over the bridge, stop from the bus, down the hill and around the mountain.  Stop after stop I am starting to feel panicked.  We have driven around the mountain and I can no longer see Trento. Stop and go goes the bus onward further from Trento.  I just stare out the window take a deep breath and decide to stay on the bus till it goes back to the train station then try to find that other bus stop.  Two more towns pass with a couple of mountains, and tons of vinyards.  I'm starved now because of my lack of breakfast this morning as I helped Beatrice.  Which by the way if you have any advice I could use would be nice.  She wants to order me around, and when I ask her nicely if she wants to play a game she yells NO, or if she wants to she yells YES.  I've gotten her to say please and thank you, but its a constant struggle to get her to play and play nice.  Back to being starved, lost, and a panicked in the bus.  We make it up to Stramounte which is super far away from Villizano, but is considered part of Trento still.  The bus driver stops, and turns off his engine.  Oh no I think, if this is his final stop and he's not running back down what do I do??? So I call Ilaria, explain what has happened, and walk up to the bus driver.  Motioned to my phone saying "I don't speak Italian" and hand him my phone.  After a long conversation with Ilaria he hands me back the phone and motions for me to sit.  I go to the back of the bus and sit down again.  Ilaria tells me to stay on the bus it'll take me to Villizano.  So I sit through another long ride through the mountains back down.  My mom has told me no boys!! With a hint that maybe the whole Alfred thing could happen again except with a bigger creep.  Well sorry mother but there is a guy that lives close to Ilaria's house that is super attractive.  Very very much Italian, and tall.  We haven't spoken to each other because obviously I can't communicate and I'm too embarrassed by that fact.  But he lives really close and this is the second time I've ran into him.   Who knows. I could use a friend.  I just need to get over the hump and say Ciao which is hello. 

No comments:

Post a Comment